Using EverNote as substitute to PocketPedia

Share

I’m just as annoyed by the Amazon restrictions in regards to PocketPedia as everyone else and have been looking for ways to sync my Pedias with iPhone. I started out creating a simple template, which I printed to PDF and uploaded it to Dropbox. In general this worked okay, but I still found that I needed to be able to search my movies and series (more than 200 entries) on the iPhone.

To start with I was looking to maybe buying a sort of database application for the iPhone and sync this with my Pedias on Mac, but it involved a lot of additional work and tweaking to get even a small sample working.

Because of other needs I installed EverNote, which is free both for iPhone and Mac with a basic member limit of 60 Megs per month. Out of curiosity I started looking for ways to import/export data to/from EverNote and after a short look at the export-format of EverNote I came to the conclusion: “This is a fairly simple XML-format” and I started ‘hacking’ away to export data from DVDPedia to the EverNote XML-format. After just 30 min. I had a working template, which exports all my movies in a format, which is readable by EverNote.

Below is the template I made. Just create a new XML-file and save it to /User/<your username>/Library/Application Support/DVDPedia/Templates with the name EverNote.xml. The template should now be selectable from Text-tab in the DVDPedia export menu. Hit the export button and name the export file. Once the export has finished, you should locate the XML-file and rename it to *.enex, which is the default file extension for EverNote. Just double-click the file and EverNote will ask if it should start importing the file.

Viola! You now have a fully searchable list of your movie available on your iPhone. Happy syncing…:-)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE en-export SYSTEM "http://xml.evernote.com/pub/evernote-export.dtd">
<en-export export-date="[global:dateUpdated]" application="DVDPedia" version="DVDPedia 4.6.4">
<!--BeginRepeat--><note><title>[key:title]</title><content><![CDATA[<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE en-note SYSTEM "http://xml.evernote.com/pub/enml2.dtd">
<en-note style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;">
<div><b>Original Title:</b>[key:originalTitle]</div>
<div><b>Director:</b>[key:director]</div>
<div><b>Producer:</b>[key:producer]</div>
<div><b>Writer:</b>[key:writer]</div>
<div><b>Studio:</b>[key:studio]</div>
<div><b>Summary:</b>[key:summary]</div>
</en-note>
]]></content>
<created>[global:dateUpdated]</created>
<updated>[global:dateUpdated]</updated>
<tag>DVD Collection</tag>
<note-attributes/></note>
<!--EndRepeat-->
</en-export>

Share

Changing sorting in Address Book

Share

I was getting a bit annoyed with the sorting of contacts in Address Book and tried to Google a solution to my problem. I partly found a solution to my problem on Apple support, but it was more concerned on the First Name and Last Name sorting not working at all.

My biggest issue was that Address Book continuously sorted contacts based on Last Name even though I selected the option ‘Reorder First Name Before Last’.

Below is a small guide on how to change the sorting in Address Book to actually sort on First Name.

  1. Close Address Book
  2. Open the ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.AddressBook.plist*
  3. Look for ABNameSorting and change the value to 0 (zero)
  4. Close and save Property List
  5. Open Address Book

Address Book should now sort the list based on First Name and the Last Name.

*plist-files should be edited using the Property List application, which is part of Xcode development environment for OS X. The Xcode development environment is contained on the OS X installation DVD.

Share